Monday, September 13, 2010

The Getaway



“What do you think of the Mojito?” Michael asked as he brought his own glass to his lips. He had recommended the cocktail, saying the Colombo Hotel made the best one in town.

“It’s good,” answered Kate, looking around the patio. “I don’t think I like these people.

There’s something about them that really puts me off. What are they doing here?”

The two of them sat at a small table under a patio umbrella by the hotel pool. A weekend event was being held to attract young, hip people from out of town. Several handmade decorations were scattered throughout the pool area, and a DJ was playing reggae music through a portable PA system.

The promotion worked; dozens of twenty-somethings filled the patio this afternoon. The sun was hot, but the water was cool. Cocktails and ice cold beers were rushed to tables and lounge chairs by an equally hip waitstaff in cutoff jean shorts, and wrinkled v-neck t-shirts.

The amount of ironic facial hair exhibited by the males was only equaled by the number of cigarettes hanging loosely from the fingers of women who didn’t seem to ever smoke them; instead just juggle them in their fingers.

“They’re enjoying themselves,” Michael offered as an answer.

“It seems so vacuous. I don’t get this whole culture of theirs.” Kate paused to sip her drink, then wiped a piece of mint off her lip. “They seem so caught up in themselves. Look at all these girls, just laying around in bikinis all day. Don’t they have anything better to do with their lives?”

“I’m having a good time.” Michael got up from his chair and headed toward the newly vacated ping pong table. “Come on, I bet you can’t beat me.”

“It is hot out here.”

“I haven’t played ping pong in ... I think it’s been almost a decade.”

Kate followed Michael and sat her Mojito on the ping pong table. She noticed these hip youth were drinking out of paper cups. “What are they drinking?”

“Oh, they’re making snow cones with rum, vodka, or Kahlua.” Michael picked up a paddle, “Are you any good?”

“I played at summer camp years ago.”

“It’s nice to get away from everything every once in a while; just relax by the pool, have a few drinks ...” Michael trailed off.

“I’m really glad to be away from it all and unwind.” Kate loosened up her shoulders, getting ready for the match. “I probably should have worn different shoes.”

“No worries. Nobody else to worry about. Just hanging out having a good time.”

“We should do this more often. I’m really enjoying myself.”

0 comments: